Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Thailand Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has already come and gone.  Frankly, I still feel like Halloween hasn't even hit yet since that's supposed to happen when at least a little bit cold.  It's now December 2nd, and I feel little change in the obscenely ridiculous heat.  But, nevertheless, time goes on, seasons change (at least in other countries), and holiday festivities happen! We were very  very excited about Thanksgiving because we wanted to cook a grand feast for ourselves.  We have a cook here at Imperial who makes our lunch and dinner for us and it's always great! However, we were all very much missing home and all the comfort foods that it brings.  We really wanted a thanksgiving dinner that would remind us of that.  We quickly realized however, that any hopes of our thanksgiving dinner tasting like home was inadvertently related to the minimal supply of American-like ingredients available in Thailand.  In other words, we had to make do with what we had and improvise a lot.  

We decided early on that we wanted our Thanksgiving dinner to be Harry Potter themed.  We had previously determined the different houses that we all belonged to and Lindsay, the creative one, made cute little place mats for each of us.  

Natalie made a beautiful Happy Thanksgiving banner.

Our glorious spread of food! We had Mac and Cheese from the box topped with crushed crackers, a pumpkin dip made from canned pumpkin, apples, crackers, jello, boxed mashed potatoes with a couple real ones in there as well, boxed corn bread, boxed muffins, dragonfruit, pineapple, Some croissants, watermelon, raw brownie/cookie bites (we don't have an oven) and a banana pudding pie. So much food! We were pretty much in heaven.  It just tasted like home! (or college really haha)  

Yummers! Can you tell I miss American food a bit? I did make myself sick by eating too much though :( And I only at 1 plate! Granted it was overflowing, but still! That's not like me.  

Our beautiful placentas and cups.  The other girls are the creative ones, I didn't help at all with this haha

That's me! In the hufflepuff house and proud of it! :) 

Great thanksgiving spent with great girls.  I missed my family lots, sure, but I just keep telling myself that I get to spend all of Christmas break with them in just 16 days! 

"Super Smile!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment